is french toast healthy?
The finest recipe you’ll ever find for healthy French toast! This dairy-free French toast, which is baked with plenty of cinnamon, thick-cut bread, and excellent orange zest, is so good that I can’t stop eating it. The ideal brunch or breakfast is simple! I’ve recently been very into breakfast, and I just can’t get enough of THIS FRENCH TOAST. Oh my gosh, that was so delicious that I had to kiss the dish. #help On days when we wake up quite hungry, Tony and I enjoy eating large breakfasts. Think of hashbrowns, eggs, bacon, and now my BEST-EVER recipe for French toast, which can be prepared in either a healthy or indulgent way, depending on your preferences. This French toast is genuinely exceptional and insanely delicious thanks to a few hidden additions. Scroll through the post, read it, and then make this French toast as soon as possible for your family (or just for yourself)!
What you will do to make the best healthy French toast:
This simple recipe for French toast may be made lighter by adding more wholesome, nutritious ingredients while still tasting just like the classic one you’re used to. This french toast is not just free of dairy, but it also lends itself well to personalization. What you’ll need is as follows:
- Just 2 eggs are required in this recipe to make the French toast.
- Dairy-free milk options include unsweetened almond milk, regular coconut milk, any milk you have on hand (including cow’s milk! ), regular coconut milk from a can, and light coconut milk from a carton for added flavor.
- Extracts: For a distinctive, delightful flavor, we’re utilizing both almond and vanilla extract. The addition of almond extract elevates it.
- Cinnamon: To perfectly spice the French toast, you just need a small amount of cinnamon.
- Sweeteners: To perfectly sweeten each slice of French toast, we simply add a bit of brown sugar or coconut sugar. While brown sugar is more traditional, coconut sugar is a little bit healthier.
- Optional: Zest an orange to add a dash of citrus! Not required at all, but seriously wonderful.
- The star of the show is Bread! Six to eight thick-cut slices of bread are required. Choose whole grain, sprouted bread to add a little more nutrition and health to this.
- Feel free to be creative with the toppings! Pure maple syrup drizzled over banana slices and berries are my favorite. A nut butter drizzle is also delectable.
What is the best type of bread to use French toast?
For this dairy-free French toast, I suggest using thick white bread or brioche so that it stays nice and thick and doesn’t go soggy. To ensure that the bread keeps up well, it is ideal to use bread that is one or two days old. For somewhat crispier French toast on the outside, some individuals even like to lightly toast their bread. You decide! I advise using sprouted whole-grain bread to make this French toast a little bit healthier. We adore Ezekiel, Silver Hills Bakery, and Angelic as fantastic brands.
My secret to EXTRA delicious French toast:
The very best French toast has three special components that give it a little extra flavor and make it so insanely delicious that you’ll keep coming back for more. If you want the most flavor, don’t forget about these:
- coconut cream. I adore using canned light coconut milk for its delectable custardy, sweet flavor. Almond milk, on the other hand, is just as good, I’ve discovered. Also delicious would be oat milk.
- Almond essence. The most alluring flavor that will keep you coming back is made with just a tiny bit of almond extract, which may sound absurd.
- further cinnamon. You’re going to appreciate how the cinnamon coats the bread and turns toasty when baked since I use a complete 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in my French toast recipe.
Making gluten-free French toast:
Use your preferred gluten-free bread in this recipe if you’d like! Even better is gluten-free bread that is fluffier and thicker.
Can I make a French toast recipe vegan?
I regretfully do not advise omitting the eggs because the French toast will cook very differently. If you do decide to use an egg substitute, please let me know how it goes!
How to make French toast in 3 easy steps?
- Create the egg concoction. The remaining ingredients (apart from the bread and toppings) should be combined in a large shallow bowl once the eggs have been whisked.
- Warm up your pan. A spoonful of butter is added to a skillet or griddle that is heated to medium-high heat. The finest cooking method for French toast is always butter. However, use coconut oil or vegan butter if you want to keep it dairy-free!
- Enjoy, cook, and dip! Last but not least, dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture on both sides for no longer than 10 seconds, then set it on the skillet to brown on both sides. Enjoy your favorite toppings!
Tips for making the best French toast:
- To avoid making your bread soggy, make sure to just dip it into the egg mixture for 10 to 15 seconds at a time.
- To ensure that your French toast turns out nicely golden brown, cook it over medium-high heat with butter. While cooking, the butter will brown and develop a delicious flavor.
Fun topping for French toast:
The countless topping options for this healthy French toast are its finest feature. Here are some delectable ideas:
- Greek yogurt, whether plain or flavored, can enhance protein intake. We adore vanilla.
- Any fruit you like can be added as a garnish, including bananas, berries, sliced apples, pears, citrus fruits, and tropical fruits like mango and pineapple with coconut.
- Spread peanut butter and jelly on top of the french toast to make pb&j french toast.
- Add some indulgence to this healthy French toast by including some whipped cream, maple syrup, powdered sugar, or even chocolate chips. YUM.
Can you freeze the French toast?
Yes! Freezing this dairy-free French toast is a great idea.
- Slices of the french toast should be transferred to freezer-safe bags after they have completely cooled. If you’re packing several slices into one bag, sandwich the slices together with wax paper or cover each slice in plastic wrap.
- The nutritious French toast will remain delicious for up to two months in the freezer!
- Simply toast frozen French toast slices in the toaster or heat them for 5 to 10 minutes in the oven to reheat.
Is French toast more wholesome than regular toast?
However, French toast puts up a fight, boasting 18 more grams of protein, 20% less sodium, and 3 more grams of fiber—possibly as a result of the majority of recipes’ use of a dairy-and-egg soaking solution.
Are pancakes healthier than French toast?
Finding a winner soon? Time for a culinary competition. A normal stack of pancakes contains 20 fewer grams of sugar and about 500 fewer calories than a plate of French toast. With 78 percent less saturated fat than French toast, pancakes maintain their advantage.
What health benefits does French toast have?
Outstanding Source of Carbohydrates
White bread and eggs, which are a fantastic source of carbohydrates, are used to make French toast. Similar to calories, carbohydrates are demonized by dieters and weight watchers despite being essential for giving the body energy. It significantly increases strength.
Is there a lot of fat in French toast?
5 grams of total fat and 1 gram of saturated fat are present in one slice of French toast. Based on a 2,000-calorie diet, each of these sums represents 6% of the daily recommended amounts. The eggs and milk that are added to the mixture during preparation are where this fat comes from.
What type of toast is the healthiest?
Some breads are healthier than others. Choose pieces of bread prepared from 100% whole-grain and/or sprouted-grain flour to reap the health benefits. Make sure there aren’t many extra sweets in your bread. Rye, flax, oat, and sourdough loaves of bread are a few excellent alternatives.
What morning meals are the healthiest?
The 12 Healthiest Foods for Breakfast Eggs. Eggs are a quick and wholesome breakfast option, as is Greek yogurt. If you’re searching for a quick breakfast, Greek yogurt is a terrific choice. Coffee is the most consumed beverage in the world, followed by water, muesli, chia seeds, berries, cottage cheese, and whole wheat toast.
Is French toast a healthy post-workout treat?
The majority of recipes for French toast are extremely sugary and have very little nutritional value. Try this dish for protein-rich food instead. It will sate your sweet breakfast desires while also helping your muscles recuperate from exercise. It’s one of my go-to dinners after working out and is SO simple to make!
Is bread healthier than toast?
We did, so we started looking further for an answer. To begin with, toasting does not significantly influence the nutrients in bread, but it does result in some chemical changes that have an impact on how nutritious the bread continues to be.