Cakes are no doubt some of the best delicacies out there! A good cake serves as the best attraction in birthday parties, weddings, celebration events, and even after-dinner deserts. Nowadays as the cake business flourishes – thanks to countless YouTube channels and shows like “The Great British Bake-off”, cakes of various flavors, designs, and shapes are available meaning bakers grow competitive by the day and require new tools and utensils. One such important item is a springform pan. What is a springform pan and how do you use it?
Read along to find out!
What Is A Springform Pan?
A springform pan is a type of pan that is used for baking cakes. What makes it different from other cake pans is the removable ring and bottom that allows you to easily remove it, causing no damage whatsoever to the cake’s intended structure; this exceptional feature makes it a much appreciated and needed utensil for all bakers. Springform pans that are non-stick hold a bigger advantage as they spread out heat evenly and are easier to clean. Overall, springform pans eliminate the usual risks of breaking edges and make the cake more palatable which is why it is a much desired and needed utensil in the kitchens of all bakers.
How To Use A Springform Pan:
To use your springform pan and achieve the most perfectly shaped cake, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Hook up the ring properly and attach it to the bottom to prevent any leakages. This is important as cakes made in springform pans usually tend to have a batter that is not very thick.
- If your cake’s batter is ready, pour it into the springform pan before once again checking all sides are properly shut off.
- You can now put your springform pan or on the stove to allow your cake to bake.
- Few minutes after you are done heating your springform pan, using a spatula (rubber if your springform pan is non-stick) try separating the sides from the pan’s ring.
- Once the cake seems to have loosened from the sides, unclasp hooks or hinges and slowly remove the sides. Whether you remove the bottom or not depends on your preference. If you do remove it, remember to delicately place it on a plate.
- You can now go ahead and decorate the cake using creams, fruits, chocolate ganache, etc. if you want before serving.
What Can I Use As A Springform Pan Substitute?
Springform pans can be easily substituted by normal cake pans. All you need to do is line it up properly with parchment paper to make sure the batter doesn’t stick to the side after baking. When placing the parchment papers on the sides, leave some excess out so that once your cake is baked, you can easily pull it out using those parts.
Another suitable alternative is a silicone pan which can be easily peeled off of the aide. If you do not bake regularly, disposable cake pans can be used too; these can be cut off easily when required.
A springform pan, however, is always the best for commercial cake baking as no contents need to be discarded peruse. It creates no mess and using a springform pan is comparatively easier too meaning it will prevent wastage of time.
Uses Of Springform Pan
As we have mentioned before, springform pans are particularly useful when you want to bake cakes that are more delicate and will be difficult to plate, meaning they are extremely useful for making cheesecakes, flourless chocolate cakes, or ice cream cakes. Other than that, tarts, bread puddings, pies, etc. are common dishes made using springform pans. Some savory dishes made using springform pans include pizza, lasagna, rigatoni pie, garlic cheese bread, etc.
Springform pans are available in varying sizes meaning bakers have a lot of options to choose from. Those with diameters of 9 or 10 inches are commonly used but you can seek others with the smallest diameter being 4 inches and the biggest being 12 inches.
Other than the diameter, depth also varies but people usually seek those of height 3 inches. While shopping, keep in mind that buying those with increased height is always the better option as you can make those with lesser height using them. However, when you purchase one that has a small height, you will not be able to make a cake that has a big height.
One common problem that people face while using springform pans is leakage of batter. This can prove to be extremely troublesome while baking cheesecakes as it is made using the water bathing method. Here are some ways you can avoid leakage of batter from your springform pan:
- Line up your springform pan using parchment paper properly. Place it in such a way that excess parchment paper will be hanging out through the bottom and sides.
- While using the water bath method, wrap your springform pan using aluminum foil.
- Covering the springform pan using slow cooker liners will also prevent leakages from affecting your baking.
If all of these prove to be useless, you can probably guess that your batter is too runny. In such a situation, you should try switching to other options like leak-proof cake pans or silicone cake pans. You can also try thickening your batter’s consistency i.e. if it doesn’t interfere with your cake’s taste or softness.
With our article reaching an end, we hope now you can easily identify springform pans and understand fully their usage. You can now use them to bake some of the most perfect and well-designed cakes in whichever sizes you prefer. Just beware of any leakage that will interrupt your working journey!